Tuesday, December 3, 2013

All Quiet On The Eastern Front

I know, I haven't posted in weeks-ish.  Holidays tend to throw my world into a loop, especially in the face of a financial shake-up.

You know how I posted earlier woes about healthcare and such?  Well, that was only a partial picture.  We've amassed a staggering amount of bills from our son's recent surgery.  In the grand scheme of how horrifying hospital bills can be, it isn't too terrible.  But when one spouse is earning the money from three jobs to support his family, those bills are a majorly painful kick in the teeth.

But what a blessing in disguise as well!!!

You see, I have had to rework our finances in such a way that uncovered wasteful spending that we weren't even thinking about.  It was nothing major like luxury cars or vacation houses, but subtle things like grabbing lunch at a drive through while out with the kids, or flopping in front of Netflix for an evening of mindless entertainment.

When we cut seemingly insignificant things like that, the money began to add up nicely.  And after a week of these cuts, we don't even miss those things.

Here's the beauty of it: We can maintain those cuts with little issue.  I am sure of it.  And once the larger medical bills are out of the way (in January), we can snowball this stuff with tremendous flow into the student loans that my husband still owes.  In three glorious months, rather than the 10 months I was initially planning, we will be out from under loan #1.  THREE MONTHS!!!

In April, loan #1 will be history!

Snowballing that further, loan #2 will be out of our lives in less than 2 years.

Loan #3 will be eating our dust in about 3 years' time.

Before these medical bills, I was convinced that our dance with these student loans would last another 5-6 years at least!  This outcome is much, much better.  And I wouldn't have given the 5-6 years a second thought if we weren't hit upside the head with these medical bills.

Blessing abound if I look hard (and smart) enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment