Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Oh Snow, Snow, SNOW!!!

It's snowing.  Again.

When I was a kid, I was in love with snow.  Every time it snowed, the entire world felt right.  The weather was cold, prompting cozy days inside drowning in music and food and family, and the landscape was simply amazing to see.  I was aways heartbroken to see it melt, but excited for the next time that it fell.  It may have been my second most important lesson in absence making the heart grow fonder.

But this year, snow has become the stalkery date that doesn't seem to take the hint that the good times are over and there is no way to part kindly now.  We still have drifts and shoveled piles in the parking lot that are four feet high and taller.  There has hardly been time and temperatures adequate for a decent melting in between snowfalls.  It melts enough to turn to ice underneath the next snowfall, but that's it.

Anyway, it's snowing again this morning.  Even my kids are no longer impressed with it, which is a feat that really takes some doing.  They are generally pleased with anything and everything, and snow makes them vibrate with joy (seriously, they vibrate, but I've explained that before).  But this morning when they looked outside, they didn't say a word about it.  They sat down with their giant tub of Legos and got to work making models to recreate the sinking of the Titanic (and create other ocean liners with which to compare/contrast the size of the Titanic, because that's how we roll).

I'm taking a page from their book and getting some much-needed sewing, crocheting, and mending done.  John has gloves that have minor holes, Maria has been more than patient by waiting on me to help with a big refashion project for her blog, I have a handmade Christmas project for Louis' Godparents that needs a final assembling, and I need to stash bust some black wool yarn into either a diaper cover or a hat for the baby.

I really should purge the next room on the list for simplifying and streamlining our lives (the kitchen, cue the doomsday music), but we still have bags and boxes of donations that have yet to go anywhere because I'm not driving them to Goodwill in all of this awful snow.

That's all for today, even though Louis has been a sweet, quiet, blueberry monster of a blogging buddy:



No comments:

Post a Comment