Monday, October 28, 2013

Peace, Health, and Happiness

Well, I can have peace, health, OR happiness, and it's going to cost me.

Thanks, oh fearless leaders on the Hill, for being a bunch of dirty, filthy words that my mother rightfully taught me were not to be used in polite company.  I spare using those words for her sake, NOT for yours.

Under the threat of having our insurance (through my husband's company) made obsolete, our family has been shopping for plans to cover ourselves.  We make too much to qualify for things like Medicaid, but too little to pay the monthly premiums that would double if we want anything more than "catastrophic" coverage.  We NEED more than catastrophic coverage, especially with Kid #5 planning a debut in the Spring.

So, rather than be a responsible citizen who repays student loans in a diligent manner, pays credit card balances in full and on time, and being meticulous about the dietary needs (needs, not whims) of my children, we're going to be paying for sub-par coverage so that our quality of life can be passable rather than decent.

Yeah, this HHS stuff is really helpful.  I'm so glad the government is looking out for me and my family.
No, I have no shortage of sarcasm where this topic is concerned.

I cried about it, I wrung my hands about it, and now I'm just angry.

May God forgive my weak faith, that this is even an issue that consumes my wayward thoughts.  It is precisely times like these that beg the passage from Matthew 7: 26-34...

Look at the birds of the sky; they do not sow or reap, 
they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly 
Father feeds them.  Are you not more important than
they?  Can any of you by worrying add a single moment 
to your life span?  Why are you anxious about clothes?  
Learn from the way the wildflowers grow.  They do not work or spin.  
But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor 
was clothed like one of them.  If God so clothes the 
grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown 
into the furnace tomorrow, will he not much more provide 
for you, O you of little faith?  So do not worry and say 
"What are we to eat?" or "What are we to drink?" or "What 
are we to wear?"  All these things the pagans seek.  Your 
heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  But seek 
first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all 
these things will be given you besides.  Do not worry about 
tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.  
Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

The "O you of little faith" bit is especially applicable to me in times like these.  God has gotten us through worse, yet I sit here and fume and worry like everything is coming apart at the seams.

Please pray for us and that, in all things, God may be glorified.

1 comment: