Wednesday, November 6, 2013

There Are Many Pregnancies Like It, But This One Is Mine.

Food.  I'm obsessed with it lately.

I mean, you'd look at my rather rotund self and think that it's a given, but I'm on a whole different plane of obsession.  Rather than eating because everything tastes good, I'm eating to see if anything tastes good.

Thanks, pregnancy.  You're a real pal.

A high school friend of mine confided in me that she is also pregnant (her first) and the only saving grace to her lack of appetite is sriracha.  I gave that a shot, drowning my morning eggs in it.  It made it passable, but that was good enough for me.

Sriracha: 1 point

A college friend announced her second pregnancy just a few days ago.  Her go-to food is homemade milkshakes with a pickle chaser.  I gave those a try, only to want to murder cows for their contribution of milk and ice cream.  Pickles, however, tasted like pure joy.

Pickles: 1 point

John brought home a bag of pretzels for football on Sunday.  I ate a small handful, so long as each was smothered with cream cheese.  Cream cheese saved the cows on my hit list.

Pretzels and cream cheese: 1 point

While chicken is on deck for dinner, I'm convinced that a steak would hit the spot.  Alas, I'm not taking the kids shopping.  I will spare myself the anxiety of their public antics.

Inconvenience: 1 point

I suffer the nausea with a martyr complex because crackers taste like ash and I can't force myself to touch them.  Soup smells like sewage, no matter the kind and source.  Bagels are tolerable, as long as the cream cheese to bagel ratio is inhumanly enormous.  Bacon almost makes the cut.  How fair is that?!  I can't go within 20 feet of the deli and seafood sections of the grocery store, lest I leave the meager contents of my stomach all over the displays.

And the kicker: all of my calories are consumed before 3 p.m.  Anything after that makes me want to curl up in a ball and disown my husband and children vocally, and with great volume.

Oh, and my prenatal vitamins make my nausea all the worse.

10 weeks down.  34 weeks to go.
(If you know how my children heed the EDD, you'd find this accurate, if not amusing.)

I know, I am becoming fluent in speaking "Whinese."  Truth be told, I'm actually very excited about this baby.  It took a couple of weeks, which is not normal for me.  I typically lose my face and am instantly in love with the baby, but it took some time this time around.  Either way, I'm excited. :-)

2 comments: