Tuesday, July 23, 2013

C is for Cookie

As I mentioned a few entries back, a friend from grade school paid a visit with her family this past Saturday.  I don't know why I seem to always do this, but I tried a new recipe just before their arrival.  Contrary to what history would suggest, it was a complete success!  And the gluten-free goodness of it all had me ready to pump out another batch ASAP.

Sadly, common sense won that battle and I have yet to make another straight-to-my-thighs batch.

Still, it's so very worth a share!  And don't let the "vegan" label scare you.  They're freakishly good.  The coconut oil lends a hint of coconut flavor and the maple syrup gives them a wholesome and robust sweetness that sugar just can't match.


Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
(a variation of a recipe from Elana at elanaspantry.com)


2 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips 
(I used Enjoy Life brand because they're nut, dairy, and soy free)


1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

2. In a separate, smaller bowl, stir together wet ingredients.

3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.

4. Form 1 inch balls and press into a parchment-lined baking sheet.

5. Bake at 350 degree for 7-10 minutes.

While it negates the "vegan-ness" of the recipe, serving these with a big scoop of vanilla or coffee ice cream makes for a rather glorious way to end the day!

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT substitute carob chips.  Carob chips are hideous.  Whomever thought carob chips were a good idea must've spent their childhood snacking on burnt plastic popsicles and raw sewage milkshakes.  Carob chips rob the world of true, pure, delicious joy.  They are good for absolutely nothing.  I wouldn't line a hamster cage with them.  

The added bonus is having the kids help without so much as a raised eyebrow about them licking utensils and fingers after the fact.

Ok, I never raised an eyebrow about them licking raw cookie dough before, eggs and all.  I'll add it to my list of things that made me a terrible mom when it comes time to reminisce about these days. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment