Saturday, June 1, 2013

Crafts, kids, and cops: a rambling slice of our reality.

I’m crafty.

Well, let me clarify: I love planning and daydreaming about all the crafty stuff that I want to someday do. 

Pinterest is a black hole of my time and attention.  I have a tremendous love-hate relationship with that website.  I have the entire interior of our house worked out, my daughter’s wardrobe planned to the stitch, a myriad of health and beauty products that I can make from 3 ingredients, and a gourmet menu to last for months on end.

But as soon as I turn around from my marathon of "pinning," I’m delivered a roundhouse kick to the face by reality.  My couch is buried in unfolded laundry, at least one of my kids is half naked (usually the same one who just snacked on coffee grounds and broccoli ends from the compost bowl on the kitchen counter), and it’s already time to make dinner, which means I have to navigate the minefield of Legos and books in the living room to get to the kitchen.  The kitchen is a minefield of grainy mystery stuff underfoot, as well as toys, shoes, and dirty laundry.

The stack of to-do crafts is huge, but I have never, in good conscience, been able to start a project when there is cleaning to be done in the crafting space.  That space is the living room.  And since our living room and our kitchen are practically the same room, I tend to want the kitchen cleaned as well.  You can imagine how often such an event occurs.  And when it does, I want nothing more than to collapse in a heap with a glass of wine and some Mozart (or Mumford) afterwards.

I am disorganized, to put it delicately.  Reality and reason dictates that I’m as guilty of being a human tornado as my kids.  I think this is true for everyone under my roof.  I sometimes tell myself that it isn’t as bad as all that.  I mean, come on, we’re not an episode of Hoarders waiting to happen.  But when a cop knocks on my door because the neighbor called to tell them that a naked kid was throwing buckets of water out of the top window in an effort to melt the snow off of your roof, my house suddenly descends into a reason for CPS to show up and take the kids away.*  So, as you can imagine, all the sewing and scrapbooking and embroidery and crocheting that I want to get done takes a big, fat backseat to our day-to-day scramble to live like we aren’t, in fact, zoo animals.

Once in a while, maybe twice a year, I DO throw my hands in the air with a big mental “EFF THIS SHTUFF!!!” and carve out a spot amongst the mess to sit, dream, and get one project knocked out.  Sometimes it’s enough.


*The cop story is true.  Kid #2 took his shirt off to keep from getting wet while he dumped buckets of water out of the upper window to melt the snow off our porch awning.  It was snowing, so the neighbors thought I was negligent enough to warrant police intervention.  I had the flu and was stupid enough to think I could catch a quick nap while the kids played upstairs quietly.  I should have been more suspicious of the fact that they were uncharacteristically quiet.  The cop wanted to come in, but I explained that I had the flu and he’d better not.  Thank God he agreed, because the house was a complete disaster.  I spent the rest of the afternoon crying and cleaning, feeling miserable about the incident and just feeling miserable overall.  But that cop showing up got my kids to clean diligently and thoroughly without a hint of protest.  And, if anyone was wondering, CPS has not knocked on our door. :-)  Now, whenever a cop drives by the house on patrol or administers a traffic violation on our street, my kids quietly get up and diligently clean the house.  I may invite the cops over for cookies and milk thrice a week so that the kids keep the place picked up. J

No comments:

Post a Comment