Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Happy Hour Special!

I have been reading about several friends' adventures in dropping wheat from the home menu.  We've seen how much good it does to take it out of kid #1's diet, and kid #2 seems to be a lot less emotional when he's not had gluten for several days, so I'm beginning to think that there may be a benefit for the rest of us to consider.

One friend over at Learning Late in Life has talked with me a bit about how much better she's been feeling since 86ing wheat and other grains.  I've reserved some information and recipe books from my local library that she recommended, and I'm anxious to see if I fit the bill for going entirely wheat free.

What does this have to do with Tasty Tuesday?  Well, I love beer.  LOVE it.  The way people sniff and taste and compare notes of fine wines, I do with beer (craft beers especially, thank you to my longtime, beer enthusiast best friend).  She was on the East Coast for almost a year and when she came for visits, she opened up the beautiful world of local and craft beers.  It's a real kick in the face to think I'll have to part with that.  I can do gluten free (and even grain free) cooking with a minimal adjustment period, but beer will be a big loss.

So I posed the question: What potent potable could I enjoy instead?

Here begins that adventure!

I experimented a little and came up with a winner on the first drink.  It's going to be filed away under "stuff to make in a large pitcher when we have guests over this summer."  It's pretty, it's delicious, and it eases the pain of separating from beer's embrace.  I'll have to try it using tequila or rum later, in place of the vodka.

Attempt #1*
(I'll work on the name later...) 

1 oz potato vodka
8 oz lemonade
generous splash of Chambord or other raspberry liqueur

Mix and pour over ice cubes or frozen fruit of choice (I used strawberries and it was amazing).

Makes one serving.

*I'd have posted a picture of it, but kid #4 used my camera as a projectile two days ago, so new pictures may be a few months coming while I save for a new one.  I'm hoping to go from point-and-shoot to a DSLR.  Oooooooooooooo, it'd be so sweet!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment