Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday's Window

Friends of ours bought a farm just before Christmas.  They're slowly working their way into all the work and responsibility that comes along with a farm and we are itching to help.  They have had us over a few times to meet their growing family of chickens and sheep, which my kids have decided is the greatest thing this side of Heaven.

I agree with them.


This is kid #1, ecstatic to hold a chick and draw similarities between it and a t-rex.  He's also a firm believer that "business casual" is appropriate for farm activity.  I get the feeling that he will be one of those people who believes there is no occasion that doesn't warrant a coat and tie. 

These are kids #2 and #4, chasing around some Isa Brown chickens.  The chickens were exceedingly patient with these inquisitive little goons, and even allowed a gentle pat or two.

Kid #4, simply enamored with the chicks.  His freakish, Hulk-like strength was absent for holding the chicks and he was surprisingly gentle.  It was adorable.

It was a welcome day away from the house and a great lesson on the importance of chores well done.  

It also convinced me that my dream of having a farm isn't at all crazy.  I'm not over-romanticizing the joys of it all as long as I'm willing to do the work.  I'm so very willing to do the work! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment